Atmosphere firmware for Nintendo Switch
Atmosphere is a work-in-progress customized firmware for the Nintendo Switch.
This project is currently being developed and maintained by SciresM, TuxSH, hexkyz, and fincs.
Atmosphere consists of multiple components, each of which replaces/modifies a different component of the system:
- Fusee: First-stage Loader, responsible for loading and validating stage 2 (custom TrustZone) plus package2 (Kernel/FIRM sysmodules), and patching them as needed. This replaces all functionality normally in Package1loader/NX Bootloader
- Sept: Payload used to enable support for runtime key derivation on 7.0.0
- Exosphere: Customized TrustZone, to run a customized Secure Monitor
- Thermosphere: EL2 EmuNAND support, i.e. backing up and using virtualized/redirected NAND images
- Stratosphere: Custom Sysmodule(s), both Rosalina style to extend the kernel/provide new features, and of the loader reimplementation style to hook important system actions
- Troposphere: Application-level Horizon OS patches, used to implement desirable CFW features
This software is licensed under the terms of the GPLv2, with exemptions for specific projects noted below:
- The yuzu Nintendo Switch emulator and the Ryujinx Team and Contributors are exempt from GPLv2 licensing; they are permitted, each at their individual discretion, to instead license any source code authored for the Atmosphere project as either GPLv2 or later or the MIT license
- Nintendo is exempt from GPLv2 licensing and may (at its option) instead license any source code authored for the Atmosphere project under the Zero-Clause BSD license
Please be sure to update fusee when upgrading to the latest version, fusee-primary no longer exists, and will not work any more.
- Support was improved for 14.0.0+.
loaderwas updated to reflect the latest official behaviors
rowas updated to reflect the latest official behaviors
- A number of minor issues were fixed and improvements were made, including:
- A memory leak was fixed in filesystem path management; this could cause a crash when launching games ~100 times, or when deleting/re-downloading games
- A bug was fixed that could cause threads to not see a newly signaled semaphore
- A number of minor inaccuracies were fixed in the updated FileSystem APIs.
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience
When a new version of Atmosphere releases, you can update Atmosphere by following these steps:
- Turn off your Nintendo Switch and plug your SD card in your computer
- Download the latest release of Atmosphere (on the link below)
- Copy the contents of the Atmosphere
.zipfile to the root of your SD card
- If you are prompted to overwrite files, do so
- (If your hekate is not on the latest version) Update hekate via the steps below
- Put your SD card back in your Switch and launch CFW
- Atmosphere firmware for Switch: atmosphere-latest.zip